05 September 2011

Comet Elenin Update: Comet Elenin's Nucleus Is Intact September 2, 2011

Now in latest update, according to video poster down below images were taken on Sept. 2, 2011. All were taken on the same telescope. The reason the comet looks different in each one or the same is because of the filter used to see Comet Elenin C/2010 X1.

Luminance filters return a lot of the visible light but they also take in a lot of ambient light from the atmosphere. That's why those filters are best for very dark skies. The skies around Comet Elenin are anything but dark.

The Ha (Hydrogen alpha) filter produced a wonderful image of what I believe to be Comet Elenin's Nucleus or at least the light visible using the Ha filter was return in a compact and tight return. It looks like the nucleus to me. When added together with the SII filter, which looks like a baseball, I have no other choice but to believe the nucleus is intact.

The "I" filter produced the ice cream cone top. The return was rounded to the north of the image and scalloped to the south. I found each image to be unique. I wish I could get them stacked in a way that brought out the comet with all the parts together. I will be working on that over the next week.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment